Many years ago I belonged to some Friendship groups on Yahoo where we would occasionally send each other goodie packages. These packages generally had a theme and a minimum dollar amount and you would pick out fun items for your partner. Some of these themes would be Halloween or Christmas, kitchen items,or maybe a BBQ theme to just name a few. I “LOVED” being involved in these gift swaps!! It was so much shopping for someone, but even more fun getting your package from your partner!! It was like Christmas morning when one of these packages would arrive. It has been many years tho since I have been involved in these swaps and I have missed it. That is until this month!! I found 2 different Foodie sites that have Foodie Pen Pal swaps!!!
This past moth I participated in both for the first time and I am once again hooked!! It was so much fun picking out items for my pen pal and was even more fun getting their packages!
The first group is run by Jamie at http://www.theleangreenbean.com/. Jamie started out with 30 participants and now has over 1300 people participating!! Here is an excerpt from her page:
Here’s a detailed explanation of the program:
-On the 5th of the month, you will receive your pen pal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your pen pal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
– Foodie Penpals is open to US, Canadian residents & UK residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. So, I’m going to keep two separate lists and match US w/ US and Canada w/ Canada!
This month I sent to Katie…You can check her page out to see what I sent her here…. http://www.thesimplesongbird.com/2012/08/30/foodie-penpals-august-2012/#comments
I received my very first package from Mary at http://www.maryhorowitz.com/
I love everything Mary sent me!!! Mary had asked me a few questions and I let her know I loved tea. Well she sent me 2 absolutely wonderful blends of loose leaf teas!! One is a Ginger Peach Green Tea and the other is an Orange Spice. She also sent me some granola that is made locally and it is so yummy!! :) Then there were 2 different snack bars that were gone quite quickly too. :) Thanks Mary for a great package! :)
The second swap I was involved in is run by Cat at http://www.theverdantlife.com/. Cat’s site is specifically for those that are Vegan! :) Had a blast with this one too!!! Here is an excerpt from her page:
How It Works:
1. The Vegan Food Swap is open to bloggers and non-bloggers alike. Sign up by completing the form at the bottom of this page. (Sign up by September 4, 2012 to swap in September!)
2. On/about the 5th of the month, you’ll receive an e-mail from me asking you to confirm your participation within 48 hours. This step helps ensure that everyone who signs up is serious about participating.
3. On/about the 7th of the month, you’ll receive an e-mail containing list of Vegan Food Swap matches. You’ll need to contact them to get their mailing address and any food specifics (allergies, gluten-free, etc.)
4. Collect items that you’ve purchased or made and box them up. Let’s keep the spending limit under $20.
5. Include a handwritten note to your match. You can explain why you chose certain items, offer suggestions on pairings, or include a recipe.
6. By the shipping deadline (usually around the 15th), ship your package to your Vegan Food Swap match. (Consider using USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes!)
7. On the last day of the month, post an entry on your blog about what you received, and be sure to include a shout-out to the person who sent you the box! (Non-bloggers can write a guest post for the person who sent the box, if both people agree.)
I sent my package to Amanda at http://hungryvegantraveler.blogspot.com/. Go check out her blog to see what goodies I sent her.
Now for the WONDERFUL package I received from Dianne at http://www.veggiegirl.com.
I also had told Dianne I loved tea and she put together an AWESOME Tea Time package for me. There were 2 great types of cookies for me to enjoy with my tea (along with my 12-year-old daughter!!) Next were 2 types of tea that I had never tried before. While Chai blends are definitely my favorite , I am totally hooked on the Bengal Spice!!! It is now one of my top 3 faves. My 12-year-old quickly marked the chocolates for herself and she loved them! I love chickpeas but had never had the dry roasted ones before and we really liked them!! Dianne also included a button from her website as well as a really cute Tea Time card she made herself! :) Thanks Dianne for a totally fun package!! :)
I am so glad I found these wonderful sites and look forward to many more swaps! So if you think you would love to get in on the fun of Foodies Pen Pals, make sure and check out both ladies sites!! :) I can’t wait until next month!! :)